Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Paris to the Moon

I came to Paris almost three years ago now with my metamorphosis already mapped out: my triptych-plan was to become happy, to become a writer and to become rich. That is where my pragmaticism ended. Being one of Henry James' Americans, I believed that Paris was the celestial city; this is where those changes happen. And after several seasons spent here, I still believe that. A belief that has been challenged, though, has been on the nature of metamorphosis - is it the sudden shock of epiphany that leaves you blinded, newly-formed and crawling along a different road? Or is it Stendhal's idea of crystallization which necessitates a complex mixing of winters and salt-mines and negative experiences to create diamonds? Stendhal observes a leafless tree branch left in a salt-mine during the winter emerging as crystal-covered wand. He was trying to understand how love can alter the layers of vision - depending if one wanted to see rotten wood or shining light. I feel as if I have been wandering blindly in my own Parisian salt-mine, unsure of what it was I had wanted to find. So, doing what it is I always do in these situations, I went to Shakespeare & Co. to buy a book. On Marie-Hélène's recommendation, I bought Paris to the Moon by Adam Gopnik. I am hoping that by reading about Gopnik's Paris, I will learn how to talk about mine.

2 comments:

Dave said...

Hi,

Apologies for the message out of the blue. I am developing a series of Expat city guides, www.expatarrivals.com, and are looking for local expats to help build them up, and in return benefit from advertising revenue and promotion of their blog/website. In most cases the core content has been developed and we now want the useful details that resident expats can provide.

The project is designed to be beneficial to all parties: you get exposure, ad revenue and the enjoyment of sharing your knowledge, while expat readers benefit from your expertise when planning their big move.

Would you be interested in contributing, or do you know of any other local expats who may like to get involved? If so please get in touch.

Best regards,

Dave
david.fair@wordtravels.com

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.